29 C
Dubai
April 3, 2025
World

Scores in hospital after huge fire at gas pipeline in Malaysia

Scores of people in Malaysia were being treated in hospitals yesterday after a huge fire broke out at a gas pipeline operated by state energy giant Petronas, showering flaming debris from the sky and shattering windows.
Authorities said the blaze in the town of Puchong on the outskirts of the capital Kuala Lumpur had been extinguished by mid-afternoon. They said at least 305 people were affected, including those left homeless after some 190 homes were damaged.
No deaths were reported and the health minister said those admitted to hospital were all in a stable condition.
State news agency Bernama said 145 people had received hospital treatment and 41 had since been discharged, citing health ministry data. They were treated for burns, other injuries and respiratory problems, state authorities said.
The fire started early yesterday with a towering orange flame and billowing smoke that could be seen on the horizon from far away, according to early images on news outlets and footage shared on social media.
Witnesses in evacuation centres described scenes of chaos that started with an explosion.
“The fire is really raging high. And then once you can see debris – you’re talking about debris which is still on fire – started to fall all over the place, that’s (when) we know something bad has happened,” said Raja Hilmy Bin Raja Idris, 59, whose house was 1km from the fire. Evian Wee, 50, said she initially thought a tornado or earthquake had struck.
“I saw a red glow moving around … I kept hearing things falling – glass, stones, all crashing in. All the windows were shattered,” she said. “It started off with the explosion, then the windows started shaking violently. That’s when we realised it was an explosion that led to the fire.”
Petronas said earlier it had isolated the pipeline and was working closely with all relevant parties to ensure the safety of the surrounding community, environment and security of gas supply to the country.
Malaysia’s Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said the state government and Petronas would take full responsibility for restoring the area, adding that the process could take a year.

Related posts

US marine park investigated over animal welfare concerns

admin

Honda and Nissan hold merger talks

Femicide victim’s family awaits killer’s sentence, and change in Italy

Sudan shelling kills more than 100 civilians near capital

admin

QFFD, QRCS join hands to enhance food security in flood affected Niger

Bomb threats made against Trump cabinet nominees

Leave a Comment